Top 5 Simple Wellness Solutions for Busy Professionals
Busy Professionals Benefit from Wellness
I’ve been told that great busy professionals have: a clear mind that can process a lot of information, energy, ability to focus, a calm demeanor, ability to manage ongoing stress, and time management skills that meet all of the deadlines and commitments.
How do you create or enhance these qualities for yourself? By making a priority in your busy life through integrating a few simple yet impactful practices. It doesn’t require sweeping changes!
1. You are What You Think About Most of the Time
You create the life you have through the thoughts and choices that you make. Scientifically, this is called the biology of belief. If you think you can have it all, you can.
Start by taking a stand for all that you want – claim it!
When you take time to take care of yourself, you have more energy, clearer thoughts, make decisions more easily, have a more pleasant disposition ~ all of which leads to sales and referrals!
2. Eating on the Go – Food is Fuel
Food fuels your body, fuels your mind and fuels the experiences you have. If you’re not eating often enough or eating too much of the wrong foods, you don’t have the energy you need for clear thought, decision making, mood stability, ability to listen or be productive.
- Hard boiled egg (made the night before), whole grain toast
- 1/2 whole grain sprouted bagel with almond butter
- Berry smoothie with protein poweder
- Oatmeal cooked in a crock pot overnight, add berries, stevia or maple syrup
- Low fat unsweetened yogurt with ground flax, almond slivers and berries
- Apple and 1/4 cup of almonds, pecans or walnuts
- “Kind” bars
- Starbucks Hummus and whole grain pita
- Whole grain crackers with hummus or almond butter
- Smoothie with protein powder
- Avoid the sauces and dressings – tons of sugar which will cause energy to drop
- Grilled chicken or fish instead of burger on a whole grain bun or no bun
- Have leftovers (make more when you cook and have it again)
- Make a commitment to have green salads 3 times per week with beans, chicken or fish
- General rule of thumb ~ 2 veggie servings, a protein serving and a half of a fat serving
- Use the crock pot
Events and Restaurants:
- Put a limit on how much you’ll drink keeps you alert and energized
- Eat a snack before you go to a “sloppy food” event
- Go for the live, non-fried food ~ less fat and live enzymes will give you energy!
Five General ways to avoid overeating:
- Don’t eat watching tv, reading or while you’re on the computer
- Take 10 deep breaths before you eat or order
- Pay for a meal in cash
- Order an appetizer and salad instead of a huge entree
- Ask the server to hold the bread
3. Everyone’s Moving – Including You!
A healthy weight, ability to manage stress, release of toxins, clear thought, better mood, ability to make decisions and improved energy all come from moving your body. It doesn’t have to be 7 days per week of intense cardio, you just need to do what you like
- 30 minutes per day of walking is ideal
- Find a buddy
- Couch to 5k (www.c25k.com)
- Nike + app by Motionx
- Get creative ~ get out your flashlight app and walk in the dark, pilates ball as your chair
4. Feel like your time’s being managed for you? Take control.
Being on call 24 hours per day 7 days per week is stressful, can lead to mistakes, and make you resentful. Claim your time and get it all done by:
- Get a planner
- Time block appointments for exercise, eating, date night, bed time
- Block shorter increments for larger projects over the week
- Block to do items daily (or index card)
One of the best ways to stay motivated or to create a habit is to recognize the value it has in your life.
- Gratitude journal
- Make a list of non-food related celebrations, pick one when you accomplish a milestone
- Evening reflection ~ your thoughts marinate in your subconscious mind overnight so create powerful thoughts before you drift off
I hope these tips will help you be a healthy, productive, financially abundant professional with life balance!